City of Sails

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Seafood Festival

Made history on the 30th of Sept by being part of Auckland’s FIRST Seafood festival. Hee.. Jenny introduced us to help out at the festival. She’s part of Rotoract, the student branch of the Rotory.

Don't we look smart in our attire!

One has to pay $20 to get to the street party. It was quite grand with more than adequate stalls selling delectable seafood. Yum…There was a stage which constantly had different bands performing. There was a band called ‘The Mermaids’! At the family area, there were many entertainers to amuse the kids. Spongebob and Patrick Star were present too! The man on stilts kept teasing us & asking ‘how’s the world going down there?’

Spongebob!!!


Ironically, although it’s a seafood festival, I was in-charged of the sausage sizzle (Not fish sausages but German sausages). They were GOOD though. We had ppl coming back for more. I pinched some myself. Hee..well, the cook is well entitled to do that. :p

Huiling and I at the Sizzle, Hanah and the other lady (opps...forgot her name) were away for their break.


At the end of the day, we were so exhausted that we just collapsed and refused to move, even though it was starting to get cold where we were. Met a couple of nice ppl. There’s Sharadha, Hallie, Aaron and Anna. Oh, and quite funny, when we were resting, waiting for 6pm to go for food (which we tot they’d provide but they didn’t, sobs..), I made a comment about how I was looking forward to the wine to warm me up. Aaron made my day by saying so sincerely, ‘Are you of age??’ HAHA… yay, I’m looking young. :p

By the end of the day, I had met 2 ppl who used to live in S. Africa. Hallie was one of them, the 2nd person is this guy I met at the OCF fund raiser concert. He’s adopted by S. African (nationality) parents. Both related to me about how they came to NZ as their families were feeling increasingly threatened living in S. Africa. I chatted more to Hallie though. (Darn, I forgot to get her contacts!! She’s a real nice gal.) Hallie enlightened me about how the ‘blacks’ target tourist or rather, tourist do not know how to prevent themselves from being targeted. Apparently, you can’t use your handphones on the streets or they’ll get snatched away. Also, she said that just amongst the ppl she knows, 3 of them were held at gun point but thankfully, none were killed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home