City of Sails

Friday, August 04, 2006

Independent Woman

Altered my own jeans! I’m so proud of myself. Haha…Credit goes to Yeefang as I was motivated by her after she showed me how she altered her pants. Since we’re on the topic of being hands on, let me tell you about my variety of self-made things till date. They range from compartments for clothes, rubbish bin, notice board, coasters, and as you will see later, earrings and necklaces. I’m sure this list will continue to grow longer. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Neh, it’s not to that extent but I don’t really feel like buying certain things mainly because I’ll def have a difficult time carrying them back to Singapore. Since this is a temporary home, it’s a good idea to use what materials I can find (from the streets mainly. Haha..) to make them into useful things. Not to mention the sense of satisfaction that comes with making them.

On Tues, I had a chance to prepare dinner all by myself. Although I was not alone in the apartment, the only person who was home, Chee Chuan was napping and so, I decided to whip up sth. On the menu was rice with cheese, chicken with mushrooms and broccoli with onions. It was a success!! Chee Chuan said it tasted nice and I tot it was pretty good meself. (this is just a very subjective opinion though. :p) Will cook a nice good meal for you all when I get home Mum and Dad, and Jo and Teck Tiong and Kor. Meanwhile, I shall hone my cooking skills here. :p

Last night was really fun!! Yeef, Tze Chia, Chao Chia and I went for this event called True Beauty organized by Student Life which took place at the Maclaurin Chapel. It’s a ladies night, exclusive for us, the fairer sex, catered for university students to help interaction. There was a pretty good spread of pastries but the highlight was really the chocolate fondue! We started off the event with some ice-breakers and then there was a speech by this lady on true beauty. Although it was pretty cliché, as she talked about how your outward appearance does not reflect who u are and that it is your inner self that does, what touched the audience was her personal testimony. For the past 15 years, she was obsessed about her weight and her weight had fluctuated from one extreme to the other a couple of times but ultimately she realized how she could make a difference to people was not dependent on her outlooks but her inner self. In a nut shell, the speech was that we should not be envious of beautiful women because even the most beautiful women in the world can be the world’s ugliest women. Instead, we shld focus on our character, intelligence, dignity and work ethics which is what really identifies us.

That was the serious part of the event and it was followed by another highlight, manicure, jewellery making and massage!! The 4 of us were drawn by jewellery making. We intended to visit all the 3 booths but in the end, we only had time for the jewellery booth before they closed the place. Heather was great help. She was the one who brought all the tools and materials that we needed for jewellery making and she taught me a few new tactics. Out of the 4 of us, I was the only one who had tried making my own jewellery (albeit the simply and easy ones). This time round, I was bolder with my designs, partly also because I had more options with the many beads that Heather brought. Heather taught me how to use a crimp, haha..i didn’t know it existed before. Also, she showed me how to attach the locks onto the necklace. Now, I’m really excited about the possibilities of making earrings now when I get back to Singapore. Jie Jie, we can do this during our sisterly time!! Haha…


Us and Heather!

The item I made that I'm most proud of!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

he he... our little Carol has grown up!She is reminding us that all the aunties and uncles are getting old!Anyone disagree? Ngoh and Keng Seng must be proud of her. Keep up Carol.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home